Students on McKeesport Hall exterior stairway to entrance


Housing and Food Services employs one general maintenance employee to work on daily and routine residence hall problems. Some issues require outside vendors. Housing and Food Services has contracts with other Penn State departments and vendors to address certain areas, such as wireless networks, laundry facilities, and card access.

Emergency Contacts

Housing and Food Services 412-675-9100
Residence Life 412-675-9223
University Police 412-675-9130

Maintenance Requests

Routine maintenance requests can be submitted online or by calling Housing and Food Services during normal business hours at 412-675-9100.

What is the difference between routine repairs and emergencies?

Routine Repairs are problems that can be scheduled to be fixed and do not require immediate attention. Examples include a burned-out light bulb, problems with the refrigerator/microwave unit, or a torn window screen.

Emergencies are identified as anything that needs to be fixed immediately. Emergency repair examples include the following:

  • Loss of hot or cold water
  • Loss of heat
  • Loss of steam supply
  • Loss of electricity (beyond normal power outages)
  • Electrical hazard
  • Flooding or major leak
  • Fire
  • Gas leak
  • Any condition that represents a significant imminent threat or potential hazard to the community
  • Glass window breakage that is a potential safety and/or security hazard
  • Pest emergencies (bats, bees, etc.)

See above for emergency phone contacts.


For lockouts or lock problems, contact the Residence Life coordinator or the RA by calling the Residence Life office at 412-675-9223 or the Residence Life Duty Phone at 412-414-9806. If Residence Life is unavailable, contact Police Services at 412-675-9130.